Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Abortion?

Photo Courtesy of college.studentsforlife.org

This post is written in memory of all the voiceless unborn babies that have had their right to life stolen from them, and for those who peacefully assembled Wednesday in Washington D.C to fight for those who can not fight back…

Abortion is the next human right issue that needs to be addressed in our country. To fully respect human life, we need to respect it from the very beginning. We live in a wasteful society, and abortion is an extension of this atrophic society we have created. Since the start of this nation, the love of freedom and liberty for all has been at the cornerstone. If we expect people to respect the liberties of their fellow neighbors, than we must respect the liberty of ALL human life. If we accept that the killing of a fetus is okay in our “throw-away” culture, than why are we surprised when other horrendous acts are committed against human life?

The statistics of abortion in this country are absolutely alarming.  There have been 57 million abortions in the U.S since the ruling of Roe v. Wade. All of these abortions would be the equivalent of killing all the inhabitants of California, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Now, the first argument that a pro-abortion (pro-choice is the fuzzy, warm blanket that pro-abortion advocates use to protect themselves) supporter uses to defend their side is the “What about all the pregnancies that occur from rape and incest” argument. Well, less than 1 percent of ALL abortions occur because of rape or incest! Each year well over 1 million abortions occur in America, so simple math tells us that roughly over 990,000 babies are killed when rape or incest are not factors in a women’s “choice”. The second argument pro-abortion believers use is the “Health of the Mother” argument. Well, once again numbers do not lie; only 4 percent of women who have abortions cite “health concerns” as their reason to abort their baby. This stat includes non-life threatening ailments such as morning sickness. So even with the 4 percent of women who have abortions for health reasons, and the 1 percent attributable to rape and incest, we come to a whopping 5 percent of all abortions. The result of this is that 95 percent of abortions happen each year because women view that having a baby is an inconvenience to their way of life.  So, before pro-abortion advocates lead their defense with these arguments, let’s first find a solution to the 95 percent of babies that are killed because they are viewed as an unnecessary hindrance, an unfortunate “bump in the road” in the mother’s life. The women that fall into this category of 95 percent know full well the possibilities that can happen when they are sexually active. If one is responsible enough to conduct in consensual sex, then one should be ready to take on the responsibility of either raising the baby or giving it to someone who can. The most alarming statistic I saw in my research was that almost 45% of women who have had abortions already had previous abortions! If we keep allowing for this careless view of the value of life, liberty will never be able to flourish in our society.

Not only does abortion violate conventional human rights it is also unconstitutional. The U.S Constitution’s 10th Amendment states:

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

Now, unfortunately the Federal Government seems to find its way around this amendment constantly. The Feds have no right or power to exercise the legalization or banning of abortion. This is the full responsibility of the states. Just like many other laws where the Feds have overreached their influence, so it is the same with abortion. Abortion brings to light both the need to embrace human rights and state rights.

Dr. Ron Paul, supporter of all human and state rights, believes The unborn has inheritance rights, and if there’s an injury or a killing, there is a legal entity. There is no doubt about it.”

Thomas Jefferson so eloquently wrote about three of our inalienable rights in the Declaration of Independence, “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” When we allow for human life to be so carelessly discarded through abortion we refuse the unborn all three of these human rights.